Wednesday, November 5, 2008

What is the best thing about kids?

Adolescents under the pressure of their overflowing hormones would say “makin them” as an answer to this question however I overcame my hormones to think what is it really about kids that we like. In search for that enlightenment I did not have to find any banyan tree like Buddha but I just had a peek at my childhood.
Well when I ask my parents how I was when I was small they can come up with lots of adjectives. One is “naughty” and the rest are their synonyms. I mean how do you justify someone putting holi colours in the water tank of their own house? Well my mom always tells me that atleast I could have been smart and put the colours in the neighbours water tank. Breaking window glasses, putting sugar inside the petrol tank of Sunny of a particularly haranguing uncle (I was not worried of revenge as I had a cycle), stealing the glasses of my grandpa, releasing lizards on my sisters and mom’s clothes – rejoicing on their shrieks (I called it fear alleviating therapy), inviting all the street dogs inside my house (I was only sheltering the unfortunate ones who had no roof on top of them) and the list would go on. Winning the titles of “most mischievous kid in the society” and “most naughty boy of the family” I used to get repeated scolding from my elders and neighbours used to come regularly to my house, not because the interiors were good but because they had restrained their anger and instead of killing me decided to do the job the humanely way by complaining to my parents.
However I can claim to have the most fun-filled childhood. This inference led me to the conclusion that kids are meant to be naughty. What I am most angry about is way today’s parents treat their kids. A kids timetable is probably more busy than that of the manager in your office. They have to go to the school, attend the evening tuitions, go to the dancing or the sports classes, go to the art class or a foreign language class, do his homework, meanwhile he remembers that he forgot to go to the loo. I pity at those kids who have to carry a bag heavier than an elephant’s new born baby and study more books than there are in our Satyam library (there are not many here don’t worry). Agreed that the world is competitive and we need to have as many weapons in our repertoire but then I think that a child learns lot of things while playing on the streets and playing pranks.
For example I learnt a lot about teamwork when we beat little munnu and ran away with his new bicycle. I learnt about discipline and silence when I stealthily went into the Magandada’s house to steal my ball which he had unceremoniously not returned to me when I broke one of his window panes. I also learnt about the importance of kindness to animals when I submerged a little puppy neck deep in soil and its mother ran after me. I learnt newtons third law of motions of “every action has an equal an opposite reaction” when I fought with the gang of boys living in the next society. The world is very informative and adventurous and I don’t think classes can teach you that.
Lets not snatch the childhood of children and let them enjoy their life till they become software engineers and write pestering blogs like me.
And if you still have a kid living inside you then don’t stop it from doing that prank. Also a suggestions for the pranksters – don’t throw chalks at your teacher (I barely escaped getting expelled)
I have to go…..have to plant that fire cracker in the bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment