Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Coo chi coo chi coo

The other day I went to meet my aunt’s mother in law’s daughter’s second cousin on the occasion of her daughter’s first birthday (they called me Gaurav ? didn’t even know my name and here I was celebrating with them).
The toddler was pretty cute and with red chubby cheeks (thank god kids are not heath conscious) and looked really pretty in that parka. And like me everybody wanted to pluck at her cheek and cuddle her and peck at her cheeks and ruffle her hair. Kids are really lucky I wonder if all the girls did the same to me when I was small (damn why don’t I remember but I am sure that I must have chuckled giving them all the more reason to continue doing it with greater fervor)


It was a pretty sight with all the ladies in saree showering adulation on the baby and the "gents" forming a group around and talking about how bright the future of the baby is going to be and which school should their parents enroll the name (i have heard parents enrolling the names even before the child is born-what must they be giving in gender?).
And suddenly there was a commotion. It reminded me of the days when I was in my school doing the march pass on 26th of january 2001 and the earthquake with ferocious intensity struck (sorry like the K-serials i also have the habit of going in the back flash, fortunately i don’t cry that much and my mother in law doesn’t harass me too).
The ladies were moving away from the baby in embarrassment and the gentlemen were also moving away muttering something. The reason was that the baby had just performed one of the god's wonder and confirmed the universal principle of Einstein that mass gets converted into energy. The baby had pissed into the lap of one "aunty" who was the most excited and now the most horrified at the sight of the soiled sari.
The excited children squealed in pleasure and started shouting causing another lady in pink sari to startle and accidentally overturn the cake on the floor. Well well i thought after all the party didn’t turn out to be as boring as i had thought earlier (i have a feeling that wherever i go something always go wrong- my friends can testify to it).


Now here is my main point. Maybe it was all a coincidence that the child has an urge to destroy its own party or maybe it was an act of vengeance. My cerebral hemisphere is inclined to believe that the people constantly cuddling and cooing the baby incurred its wrath as it was getting annoyed. I mean when somebody is constantly pulling your cheek and articulating undecipherable words like "coo chi coo chi coo" and "shi shit (i swear i didn't mean that)" leave alone that kissing on the cheek with the lipstick on the ladies and the mouchstache on the men, then the child is bound to get irritated. Even i must have done the same thing when i was small (one of my aunt still looks in a very frightened way at me whenever she is wearing a new sari) but as we grow up we start getting embarrassed more and more at the cuddling of our elders in public. When you are in your teens then you say to your parents that stop calling me by my pet names in front of my friends and then you slowly move out of your house. Perhaps to work or go stay in a dormitory in college and then when you are in your early twenties that’s when something happens to you which had happened to me when i went home this time around.

I started to wish that my parents call me out by my "good" name and not the original boring name that everybody calls me in office. I started wishing that my mom would take my head in her lap and give me a massage or give me a big kiss on the cheek or my dad would give me a big bear hug whenever i meet him. I constantly longed for that extra attention and my parents obliged me.

Now i don’t remind them that i am Gaurang and not "chintoo" and i let them scold me in public or let them give as many advices as they want.

So people the moral of the story is? - Stay away from kids when they are annoyed - naaa.
The moral is that everybody (yes even spiderman) requires that bit of extra attention be it from your friends or parents or that neighborhood street dog. Don’t ever turn anyone down when they extend their love to you.


“Good judgment comes from bad experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.“

No comments:

Post a Comment