Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Smog/Fog what difference does it make???

Once I went to Dalhousie and in the morning I got up and saw an amazing panorama. The whole garden was filled with fog and I couldn’t even see anything even 2 feet away. That was really picturesque and I really longed for that moment again. You know finding your way in the murky atmosphere and relishing the excitement of uncertainty poin front of you.

But what I didn’t know was that I was soon going to experience the same thing in Bangalore. Hey now don’t go scampering around in Bangalore finding that place (although such a place would be the perfect excuse to put your hands on your best friend’s girlfriend). But yes if you want the “pirated version” of that fabulous climate then its right here.
Did someone just say “he’s talking about the pollution in the city”. You are right Mister.
I am talking about the lovely mélange of the gasses that you experience in the evening while going home. You have the lovely Mr. Carbon Monoxide, Miss sulphur di oxide and who can forget the old but mischievous Mr. Carbon particles floating around in the air.
I was not exactly overjoyed at seeing the sight as the continuous coughing was disturbing my concentration and the blurry eyes from the smoke was obstructing the view. But the traffic of Bangalore was very helpful and like a good friend it gave me the opportunity to enjoy the moment for a little longer (I was struck in the traffic in the same place for half an hour)
I don’t know whether it was the nostalgic feeling or the extra gladness from the terrific view that gave me headache (had I stayed there longer then I would have surely gone unconscious ) but I will forever keep the pleasant (my foot) memories in my heart.

But people, the story doesn’t end here. God made me fortunate enough (was I so sinful) and gave me this opportunity to enjoy this atmosphere everyday (I was atheist before but now I am a godfearing believer).

Well people are mad saying that you shouldn’t use automobiles while traveling short distances to save fuel and to control the pollution. I mean if you got a car then why not use it. I everyday see lots of Software Engineers traveling through cars all the way to the electronic city and the sedans are all empty except the sole driver. My dear friend joked that cant 4 software engineers travel in one car and come to the office together thereby saving the fuel on the other three cars and I laughed out till my eyes filled with tears.

They say that a flyover is being built which will make the congested traffic obsolete and thereby preventing more pollution. What spoilsport these officials are. Don’t they know that it is because of this traffic that Indian rickshaw walas are learning to navigate proficiently through the traffic and hence preparing a force for the upcoming F1 races in the new season.

My dad used to tell me that there was a time when nobody suffered from respiratory illnesses like asthama and bronchitis. How boring. I wonder how the doctors made their living. He also says that no one was obese because they had to either walk or cycle long distances which gave them good exercise. How would he know the thrill of riding a fuel guzzling motorbike where the rear mirrors become unnecessary as the smoke generated from the bikes obviate the need to look behind. And automobiles are essential to keep up with the tight schedule of meeting all your girlfriends.

Now I don’t have to go to any hill station for that foggy weather and I hope that you people also don’t fall into these enviornmentalist’s traps about saving fuel and preventing more pollution. These brats have nothing else to do.
Believe me few years down the line when you don’t see any trees around and your children ask you why does everyone has cancer from the pollution then you will find a perfect answer “child your @#%^& father/mother did not think of the consequences while using their automobiles”


Man must exist in a state of balance between risk and safety. Pure risk leads to self-destruction. Pure safety leads to stagnation. In between lies survival and progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment