Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Those slimy, wet, swiveling delicious worms………..

I assure you that the contents of this blog are not as disgusting as the topic name makes it out to be. Before you try guessing what the topic means I would just like to flash back into my past…
I used to be a very gluttony kid indeed (as a matter of fact all kids are) and my propensity to gulp down each and every edible thing in sight always kept my mother on her toes. She was really perplexed by the unanswerable question that where exactly so much food disappeared down my throat. It was always an artistic and creative challenge to keep me well fed. Artistic because of making nutritious food look attractive (ever noticed how all the nutritious food tastes equally bad) and creative because when the hunger really struck she had very little time to gather stuffs and make me a meal before the neighbors called the police complaining of my increasingly dangerous wailings.
It was the time of 1991 when International pressure forced the Indian Govt. to open gates for International companies to enter the Indian market. Apart from all the good that this move caused to the Indian economy I am sure that my mother was one of the happiest. One brand that made her job easier was Nestle’s Maggi noodles. Yes it is this slimy, wet, swiveling and delicious worms that I am talking about.
This 2 min noodles which changed the snack culture of my life contributed a lot to my mother’s well being right now. Instantly her troubles were over. A stock of maggi noodles always found a reverend place in my home’s store room.
Undoubtedly maggi is one of the premium snacks in today’s life. Look at it. It doesn’t require refrigerator for storage, requires only boiling water for preparation and it is readily prepared in 2 mins. On top of it, it titillates the taste buds like no other snack and it can be served hot!!! The only word that I can think for maggi is “beautiful”
I used to be really possessive about my maggi. Although my sister and I prepared two packs I took utmost care not to give even a quarter of an inch of the noodle, that rightfully belonged to me, to my sister. Apart from creating acrimony between me and my sister, it did a lot of good too. Like it introduced me to the world of cooking and I learnt to operate the gas stove for the first time. Yellow became my favorite color and I really rarely went hungry or repented my lack of cooking skills. Since I was a kid the maggi hasn’t changed even a little bit but still liked by all, be it poor or rich, big or small, black or white, except for my grandmother who still refers to the this as slimy, wet and swiveling worms

No comments:

Post a Comment