Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The war and the valiant soldier…………

The saga continues.
I visualise myself as a warrior in the jungles of burma. There is a dense undergrowth of plants and trees (computers) around me and my colleague army men are waiting to be ambushed by the enemy – SLEEP. For all those who have not read my last blog refer to this link here

So we had food and now the stomach has started pumping alcohol to digest the food. Slowly like in a slumber we come back from the cafeteria like zombies to our cabins. As soon as I enter the office the cool air of air conditioner greets me which is quite opposite to the heat outside. I dread at the thought of fighting the sleep. Sitting down on my chair I stare blankly at my faithful computer and switch on the monitor to wake it up from its sleep.

Back at the jungles of burma…..i pick up my bayonet (read mouse) and notice that it has been overused. Maybe this time around my gun will not help me fight my enemy (sleep). All around me the army men are afraid when the enemy will pounce on us and trounce us. In the early stages we keep a strong vigil and make sure that the foe does not come. We are encouraged at our success to keep the foe at bay however the mirth is short-lived. By the time the digital clock shows 2:30 we feel the enemy slowly taking over
“dhub” there is a sound from the a tree (cabin) nearby and the I see one of my team mate fall down (he fell asleep). Martyr to the noble cause staying awake. But I don’t give up without a fight. One by one people around me start going down. It is a scene of total devastation. I feel helpless but still the hope is alive as long as the commander in chief (my team lead) of our army is fighting. I see him as the silver lining around the dark cloud, the ray of hope at the end of the tunnel, the drop of rain on the parched land, the halo around the moon (that’s it, I don’t know any more adages). I vigorously brandish my gun in the face of the enemy. I have to stick till 3 pm till the additional forces come to my rescue (the additional forces here are coffee and a glass of water and possibly some gossip sharing). To my horror my commander in chief falls down, fatally wounded by the blow from the enemy. 15 more minutes I think, that’s the time I need to hold on to the post but the enemy is too powerful. It has surrounded me from all sides and I can feel fatigue set in (I am in and out of the consciousness – eyes barely open) it is so easy to give up that I feel like doing it but the better part of my conscience says that a soldier should never show his back to the enemy (I am taking Satyam’s money and I cant sleep in office hours).
Suddenly I realise it is 3. I get up from my trench – my fighting place (in this case my chair) and with glee I realise that additional forces have arrived.

Back to the office……..i wake all my team mates and we together go to the coffee point to get ourselves the ammunition for the fight that lies ahead of us (the rest of the day).

No comments:

Post a Comment